Wednesday 19 August 2009

Summer Briefs

After having built my skills of serious layout and typography at the Leeds Guide i would also like to develop my other weakness - illustration. I don't feel so confident when illustrating and i would like to use this summer to develop my own methods and techniques for mark making/illustration/drawing. I would like to create a zine of my doodles and illustrations in a way that fits my style and interests in materials/techniques. Also i illustrated a zebra finch in illustrator a while ago and would like to develop this into a set of illustrations of different birds. i think they would look quite good in a mini book with a small piece of text that explains some interesting facts or trivia. I would like to play around with typography and illustration together so i think i will also carry on my Alice in Wonderland quotes that i have been creating out of cut paper and try experimenting with some illustrated, hand drawn typography, maybe using well known sayings. Whatever i create i would like to put the contents into handmade books as this is something i would like to create in future and would like to focus on small publications in my final year as well as it fitting in with my dissertation!

So...

Brief 1.
* A Zine containing all my doodles and quick sketches from summer 09.

Brief 2.
* A small handmade book of all my work that i created at the Leeds Guide during my work experience placement (about 30 cover ideas, experimentation on illustrator and some layouts that i created for the magazine, oh and the interview where they featured me and my apartment!)

Brief 3.
* A series of digital illustrations of different birds, starting with the zebra finch i have already drawn and using this as inspiration for a style of illustrating, then put these into a small hand bound zine.

Brief 4.
* Carry on with my series of paper cut Alice in Wonderland Quotes and create an A1 design of one quote.

Brief 5.
* A series of (Great British??) sayings, hand rendered, based on typography and put into a small publication.

I will also be getting on with my dissertation research, changing my main university blog and this blogs layout, creating a business card, getting it printed and finally updating my digital and printed portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment