Friday 17 July 2009

Day 14 - Leeds Guide WE Diary/evaluation

Final day today! it was quite a quiet final day, i did more wok on the advert for Haha, made more alterations to the Opera in the Park brochure and worked some more on the Student Guide. In a way i am quite glad that it is over as i feel as though the past few days have been really repetitive and monotonous, doing more and more work on the Student Guide, but in a way i feel quite sad to leave. i have really enjoyed my time working in a design department of a magazine. i have actually produced layouts that are in print and have actually been published, so that is something really good for my portfolio! i have been interviewed by the magazine, which was a bonus, i have designed a full brochure from start to end, with an actual client (Leeds City Council - so a few clients actually) and i have learnt so much about InDesign, illustrator, Photoshop, file sizes and set up for print, PDF's, colour management, layout, design, typography, clients, daily life in a design department and loads of insider tips (such as creating a droplet in photoshop, how to set up and use books effectivley in InDesign, how to prepare something to print and loads of other little tips i picked up during my 3weeks there)
I have also developed my illustration skills on the computer, which is something i didn't plan to achieve by working for a magazine, but has helped me in the long run. I have definitely achieved what i set out to do by working for a magazine, which was, to gain a better understanding of layout and to develop my typography and layout skills. I feel by spending 3weeks immersed in this environment with only type, layout and illustration for me to do, i have focused in on my skills, developed them and then put them to use. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Leeds Guide and would consider working for them in the holidays at university. I was told this could be possible as they know me now, they know how i work and they know i can deliver work to their standards. Alongside this i feel proud when the head designer (Matt Andrews) comments on my work and says that my designs and doodles for the Student Guide will definitely be used for this years issue, that he was happy with all my work produced and that he enjoyed having me work alongside him. plus there was also the offer of, if when i finish university and i don't know what or where i want to go, i should apply to work for the Leeds Guide design team as i would be highly considered! all in all i feel as though my placement has been a huge success, i have thoroughly enjoyed my time there and i feel i have some great things, in actual printed publications, that i am proud of and that can go into my portfolio! oh and all the work i have done has been accredited to me (such as the Opera in the Park, the Student Guide work and all my work with the Leeds Guide, the magazine and their in house adverts for clients along with the City living magazine, plus i will be receiving free copies of all of these with my work in.
So thanks Leeds Guide it has been an interesting, skill building, varied, fun 3weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment